Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pansy Passion - Project Quilting

"Pansy Passion," 5" x 7", made for Project Quilting, Season 5, Challenge 6: Triangles, Mar. 2014

Challenge recap for  "Triangles":
Use the theme "Triangles."

Perhaps the triangles got a little lost but you'll see them if you look. This piece is built up with layers of thick interfacing.

The first thing I did when I got this idea was to check out my supply of picture frames as I needed on that had a fairly deep area for the picture to go. Some picture frames are made to just hold photos with no room even for a mat, so I knew I couldn't use a picture frame like that. Fortunately I had one that I thought would work.


The next step was to try out some designs on the computer. At first I thought I'd have the cut shapes be triangles but then I decided to go with the cut shapes as squares because the yellow and purple fabrics divided the squares into two triangles. I also used the computer to decide if I wanted the fabrics to go from dark to light or from light to dark.

Then I cut down the thick interfacing to 5" x 7". I used Dritz InnerFuse which is double-sided stiff interfacing and what I use when I make quilted postcards. Then referring to my computer "sketch" I cut the squares in the four pieces of interfacing.


I pieced the yellow and purple fabric, fused it to the interfacing, then carefully cut the fabric over where the square was cut and wrapped the fabric around to the other side. Placing the fabric was a little tricky because it had to line up with the corners of the squares of the piece above it, not the hole it was covering. The bottom piece, with the lightest fabric, is behind the final piece of interfacing.


I did straight line quilting 1/8" around the outside of each cut square (although it kind of looks like I did a satin stitch around the inside of the squares, that's just an illusion). I started with the back piece, then I placed the second-to-the-last piece on top of it and quilted around the square, which joined the two pieces together. I kept adding and quilting until finally I was sewing through four layers of interfacing and five layers of fabric. I wasn't sure how my sewing machine would do with this, but it worked just fine. I also quilted them together around the outside but that part is hidden under the frame.

Next I hand-sewed the beads and the triangle button, then I popped it into the frame.

Click on any of the photos to see larger images. (The colors seem a little off here, the purple is pretty dark. For the correct colors, visit Pansy Passion on my webpage...not sure why the colors are different since they are from the same photo file!)

To read more about Project Quilting, go here.

To see other entries for this challenge, visit the Project Quilting Link Up page for this challenge.

6 comments:

Holly U said...

What a cool effect! I look forward to seeing this one in person.

Trisha Frankland said...

This is so great and graphic - wish I could better see the dimensionality online. (I wanna touch it!) Congratulations on a great finish!

Carla said...

Very nice attention to details. Love the colors.

Adva Price said...

very nice!

PersimonDreams said...

Beautiful! I always love your work!

Kim said...

This is great! I love the movement and don't think the triangles are hidden at all! Beautiful!